Supermarkets in Taizhou

It's relatively easy to say that supermarket in China are just like the ones in the U.S.

Heck, I've been to supermarkets in Mexico AND France and its pretty much the same thing there too. While there are a few differences here and there, the basics are still there.
Imported produce and also pricier.

You go in, find what you need, buy it, leave. Of course 95% of the things that they carry are China brands. They do have things from other countries like Pocky from Japan, and American candies like M&M's, and even Ferrero Rocher and it's expensive. I doubt anyone buys it.

The vegetables here are cheap. Most are locally grown and are sold straight from the harvester to the Supermarket.
One of the differences about supermarkets here is that no food ever gets thrown out. It may have mold or lost some leaves, or old, but it will get sold...at a lower price too.

People actually look out for these old "clearance" produce especially the older generation and sometimes are fighting to get the best looking produce from the clearance pile. I stay absolutely clear of their way since I'm pretty sure those little old ladies know a few kung fu moves.
It is the season for mango and strawberries, and I am proud to say I bough a strawberry plant just the other day!
These are tiny mangos.
Admire them.
Oh, and in the background you can make out people lining to get their produce weighed and stamped

All produce including rice, beans, nuts, other grains, candy and loose leaf teas, have to be weighed, stamped and sealed for you or you will have these items removed from your basket when you pay. I know because I had that happen to me once before I understood the full process of it.

Even when you are getting your produce stamped and sealed, there is no order of thing. People will cut in front of you, run over your feet with their carts, elbow you in the stomach, and leave you with a black eye or two. It's cutthroat.

Often I find myself the LAST person to my stuff stamped and sealed.
Veterans of the supermarket elbow their way to be first and even shove their stuff right in the face of the employee who weighs and seals all the produce. Rude, I know, but I'm a quick learner and often use my size to my advantage and be equally dominating when getting my produced stamped and sealed (insert evil laughter here).


Mangos the size of my face.
They also make for a good picture.



These hairless testicle, snake looking fruit is called shepiguo.
Also known as Salaka(sp?) which are a form of strawberry.


Duck, geese, quail, and chicken eggs.
They even have stuffed animals as a guide.


Bread is made fresh everyday and put in these individual wraps.
8 slices are in each bag unless its specialty bread.
And they're all sweet.
All of them.


These are are wanna be Pringles.
They taste like dirt.


There are THREE aisles dedicated to snacks.
THREE.

My loot on my first day at the super market.
I still have battle scars from that trip.


As always, Zai Jian!

Comments

  1. Great story. How do the mangoes taste? They look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mangos are very fragrant and delicious! I prefer dried mangoes tho!! They're yummy! Btw, have you been able to receive my whatsapp messages? It works if I have my VPN turned on.

      Delete
    2. there is a chinese dried mango thats salted in a tiny bag that is very delicious we have it here too i cant remember what its called but its a tiny bag and super yummy

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Scottish men are hotter than English men?!!

Cat Diary Episode 141

Cat Diary Episode 98