Chinese Night Market and Snacks

Ever since I got my apartment and discovered the cool night market that happens EVERY NIGHT on the street next to my building, I have been addicted to a delicious snack that I can get any time I want. I mean come on, it's set up every night!
The view of the night market from my balcony.

You might think that I have had the good life here when it comes to snacks but YOU ARE WRONG!
I do not like the snacks. 
All of them. 

I have never heard of the brands, of course, and the flavors are weird. I am not very choosy when it comes to snacks but something like shrimp and tomato flavored, or egg yolk flavored, or even cucumber flavored are so not my cup of tea.

Instead, I have discovered my passion for freshly cut pineapple skewers peeled right in front of me and ...drum roll....
PISTACHIOS!
I could have gone for the peanuts but pistachios in the U.S. are slightly pricer and it had been a good while since I last had pistachios prior to finding them in the market. The people of the night market start setting their stalls around 2-2:30pm. By 5pm most of all of the stalls are set up and ready for business. In this market, you will find anything from shoes and clothes to hamsters, bunnies, turtles, or even plants for your fish tank.
My snack from the night market.

They also have small vendors who sell pineapples, or raw sugar can that they can peel for you right there and then. The fruit stands have fresh locally grown fruit and the vegetable stands are completely separate from the fruit, also locally grown. There are people selling shoes, or purses and all for super cheap prices (brand new too). My first time at the night market, I came across the vendor who sells a variety of nuts and seeds and herbs. It was there that I met my newfound snack. Pistachios.
I buy a small bag every other day. This somewhat healthy snack has replaced my chip eating habit that I had back in the U.S. Now I'm addicted to these!!!

Here in China, they do have chips, but 99% of them are some alien flavor I do NOT want to investigate. And you'd think for the price that the chips cost, you'd at least get half a bag but noooooo. The bag feels full but it's due to the packaging which they inflate the bag so looks ready to pop and leaves you with 1/3rd of a bag of chips.
Nope, I will have none of that.
In this market I have also discovered a local Chinese delicacy. 臭豆腐 or Chou dou fu. It smells so foul, my stomach shrivels to the size of a pea, my nose hairs curl, and my eyes water from the smell of the dankest, nastiest tofu dish that vendors sell.
I swear.
It smells like the innards of an intestine when it's not clean and all the food waste is still inside. Yeah, like shit.
Apparently, my coworkers say its really good. Its a local food and delicacy and they all suggest I should try some. Yeah, not unless I want to induce vomit.
This is the culprit one of the nastiest smell I've ever smelled on a type of food.







This night market has a lot to offer. And I hear it gets better during the summer season. I can't wait.
Zai Jian!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scottish men are hotter than English men?!!

Cat Diary Episode 141

Cat Diary Episode 98